Why is My Electrical Outlet Sparking?

Blog Page

Electrical Outlet Contactractor Michigan Indiana Ohio And FloridaIt’s not uncommon to notice a small spark when you plug something into the electrical outlet, especially if it’s a large appliance. However, if the sparks from your electrical outlet are starting to worry you, call our Michigan, Indiana, Ohio & Florida electrical contractors as soon as possible. We’ll be able to find the source of the problem and give you a quote for electrical repair.

Continue reading to learn why your electrical outlet could be sparking. For more information, don’t hesitate to call our local electricians.

Sparking Electrical Outlets

Normal (Small) Sparks

The electricity in your home constantly runs along available circuits before returning to the main grid. However, when you plug something into the wall outlet, you may see a slight spark jump from the outlet to the plug.

While small sparks are normal from time to time, you should call a residential electrician if the problem persists. An electric outlet that sparks all the time could be a sign of a larger problem, such as water damage or short circuits. In this scenario, we would need to evaluate the condition of your system before determining what electrical services are needed.

Overloaded Circuits

The circuit breaker is designed to prevent circuits from overloading from too much electricity, reducing your risk for fire. When you demand more electricity from a circuit than what is considered safe, the circuit breaker trips and automatically shuts off the power for your home. While this may seem like an inconvenience, the circuit breaker serves an important purpose by preventing fire.

Have you recently plugged in a new household appliance? For example, the new fridge you installed in your finished basement could be overloading the circuit. Since the electrical load is near maximum capacity, the circuit breaker trips when you plug in another appliance like a lamp or hair dryer.

It’s important to understand that the electricity that powers your home carries heat. This means that too much electricity running through your system will eventually build up heat in the wall outlet, melting important insulation covering wires. Once electrical wires are exposed, you run the risk of burning down your house.

If you suspect you have a short circuiting outlet, call our emergency electrician as soon as possible. Our 24 hour electrician will be able to resolve the issue and make your electrical system safe again.

Old Age

If your house is pretty old, you might want to have one of our residential electricians inspect your outlets. Over time, electrical outlets will eventually wear out and increase your risk of short circuits. Fortunately, our electrical contractors will be able to help you with replacing outletsso you can maintain a safe home.

We highly recommend child proof outlets (also called tamper resistant outlets) because they have spring-loaded cover plates that prevent a child from being able to stick an object into one of the receptacle’s contact points. A tamper resistant outlet looks just like other outlets, except they protect children from electrical shock injury.

Our Michigan, Indiana, Ohio & Florida electricians are able to inspect outlets and troubleshoot issues so you can avoid short circuits and other electrical problems. To request a quote for replacing outlets, call Whitney Services at (877) 393-2141.

Plumbers & Electricians Serving Michigan, Indiana, Ohio & Florida!
Hire Whitney Services as soon as possible